Hours & Information
LaVerne Murphy Student Center, Main Campus
Hours: 8:30am-5pm, Monday-Weds & Friday; 10am-5pm, Thursday
Federal Work Study Info
Federal work study is a job opportunity that provides a way to earn a paycheck and get valuable work experience around your class schedule. Placement occurs during Job Fairs held on campus. Jobs are limited and placement occurs on a first come first serve basis to those that have been offered and awarded federal work study. You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to be eligible.
What is Federal Work-Study? (FWS)
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federal financial aid work program that provides students the opportunity to work a part-time job on or off campus and earn a paycheck to decrease student loan debt. In order to be eligible, students must apply for financial aid, demonstrate financial need, and be enrolled at least half time. The FWS program has many benefits, such as:
- Provides job opportunities for students in need of financial assistance to meet college costs
- Provides opportunities to gain skills that will enhance future educational and career goals
- Provides beneficial resume building experience and training and can lead to career opportunities while still in school
- Earnings are “removed” from income on the subsequent FAFSA. In other words, earnings are not considered when calculating financial need for future financial aid
Applying for Federal Work-Study
Students will need to fill out the FAFSA and answer “Yes” or "I don't know" to the question regarding interest in Federal Work Study (FWS). This is needed to determine eligibility for a FWS position. If you have never filled out a FAFSA, apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov and be sure to note your interest in Federal Work-Study. If you would like to change your answer for your interest in Federal Work-Study you should login at www.fafsa.ed.gov and update your FAFSA application.
Checking for FWS Award Notification
After applying for and completing a financial aid file with the school, the Financial Aid Office will send an award letter. Students will be directed to review their award online via their Student Self Service account. Once a student is offered FWS as part of the award package, and is interested in employment, follow the instructions in the FWS Hiring Process section below.
FWS Hiring Process
Steps for Work-Study Placement
- Read and print off the complete background check document. Bring all 8 pages of the document to the work study office.
- Browse the Federal Work Study job listings.
- Completing the online Federal Work Study job application.
- If you have any questions or concerns please contact Ann Abel.
LaVerne Murphy Student Center (CC)
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday - Wednesday and Friday | 10 a.m. to 5 p.m,. Thursday
Phone: 541-440-4621 | Email: ann.abel[at]umpqua[dot]edu
Supervisors must submit a time-sheet to the FWS Coordinator within two days of the end of each pay period. Late time-sheets will be carried over to the next pay period. FWS positions are paid via direct deposit or a mailed check.
Please complete the following time-sheet and turn it into your supervisor for verification and signature: FWS Time-Sheet.
Maintain FWS Award
Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and be continuously enrolled in 6 or more credits to remain eligible for FWS from term to term. Remember the award is only valid for the academic year and/or term(s) indicated. Once funds are earned, and/or the academic year is over, FWS students must immediately stop working.
Ann Abel - Contact
Work Study Coordinator