Sociology is the study of society, culture and human interaction. How do cultures get to be the way they are? How do major historical events affect social institutions?
What can you do with it? According to the American Sociological Association:
"A degree in sociology is an excellent springboard for entering the world of business, industry, and organizations. The sociological perspective is crucial for working in today's multiethnic and multinational business environment. An undergraduate sociology major provides valuable insights into social factors such as race, ethnicity, gender, age, education, and social class that affect work and how organizations operate."
Sociology majors are offered at UO, OSU, EOU and SOU. Many, many other colleges across the United States offer sociology majors - the oldest program in the United States.
Classes we offer include:
- The introductory sociology sequence (Soc 204-206)
- Juvenile Delinquency (Soc 207)
- Race, Class and Ethnicity (Soc 213)
- Human Development & Family Studies classes that will work as social science electives, particularly Contemporary American Family (HDFS 240)
Following the standard transfer program will get one accepted into most of the transfer schools. Appropriate early courses for Sociology majors are:
- Science: Geology or Biology
- Math: 105 or 111
- Social Sciences: Sociology, Race, Class and Ethnicity, Economics, History, Anthropology
- Foreign Language: Two years of a foreign language is required for a B.A. degree almost anywhere (and is a good idea in general!)
Residents of WA, ID, NV, and CA
If you are from Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California, you pay Oregon resident tuition rates. That's a big discount! You might also be interested in what life is like around UCC. Find out.
Money for College
Get access to millions of dollars that are available to students - not just loans. There are scholarships, grants and work study opportunities too! Every student can use money for college. It can help you to be more successful. Plus, it can lower your debt load when you finish college. Some students actually leave college debt-free! Here are some important sources of money for college. Don't let these opportunities for financial aid pass you by. Act now! Decide. Commit. Succeed.
At UCC, you can earn a TWO-YEAR TRANSFER DEGREE for less than you'll pay for one year at a state university. Plus, UCC offers:
• Seamless, direct transfer degrees
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• Online classes
Prospective students should visit Advising and Career Services to get started and then see a program advisor (below) to develop a more focused educational plan.
Emery Smith - Contact
Associate Professor, Social Science