Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions and answers. Click on a question to view the answer. If you have any further questions, please call the Woolley Center main office at 541-440-4603. For general UCC questions, visit the UCC FAQ page.

Also, don't forget to visit the Resources page, where you will find links to websites with valuable information.

How can I get help filling out all the paperwork I need to fill out to start college?

The student services coordinator at the H. Woolley Center can help you determine what you’ll need to fill out to be admitted to UCC. In addition, each quarter, ABSD offers three workshops: one on the admissions process, one on filling out the FAFSA and one on the placement test. Attending one or more of these can help you get on the right path. The UCC website also has a great page that will take you step by step through the process of getting started.

How am I going to pay for college?

Many students finance their college education through a combination of grants, loans, scholarships and payments. The first step in finding out your financial aid eligibility is to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can get assistance in filling out the FAFSA through free workshops offered through ABSD, through the student services coordinator at the H. Woolley Center, and through the financial aid office at UCC.

Do I have to be a straight “A” student to receive scholarships?

No! Not all scholarships are based on GPA or grades. You can find scholarships available to you based on all sorts of other criteria, from being the first in your family to attend college to being a single parent. A good place to start your search for scholarships is with the financial aid office at UCC. The student services coordinator at H. Woolley Center can also help.

How do I get a free term at UCC?

If you attend 60 hours of classes and complete a GED or adult high school diploma from our program, you are eligible for a one-term tuition waiver at UCC. You may use the waiver for up to one year after graduating from our program. The waiver only covers tuition, so you will still be responsible for fees and books.

Keep in mind that it’s a good idea to start your FAFSA process before you complete your program with us so that once you’ve used your tuition waiver, you can make use of your financial aid package in the next term, allowing for seamless continuation in the degree or certificate program of your choice.

Can I work and go to school at the same time?

Yes! Many students work and go to school at the same time. In addition to offering classes in the evening, UCC also offers coursework online. There are many options for students who are working to complete their education.

Students may also want to consider work-study opportunities. Work-study jobs are part-time jobs on campus, which allows students both on-the-job training and helps them work to complete school. UCC also has a Cooperative Work Experience program, which can also help students get on-the-job training.

How quickly can I finish a program to start making money to support my family?

It depends on your choice of program. UCC offers certificate programs that can lead to a job and that last anywhere between a few weeks and more than a year. In addition, students may start working in their chosen field as they are working on completing their college program depending on the program and the skill set that the student already has coming into the program. The Advising and Career Service Center can also help students look for work while they are enrolled in a certificate or degree program.

Will the college help me find a job when I am done?

Yes! The Advising and Career Service Center can assist students in career readiness and job placement, including helping students work on resumes, prepare for interviews, and receive individual career counseling support.

What if I don’t know what I want to study?

That’s ok! There are many ways that UCC can help you as you discover which program of study most interests you. In the ABSD program, faculty and the student services coordinator can meet with you and talk about your interests and goals, in addition to helping you find resources at UCC that can assist you as you develop an education plan.

At UCC, the Advising and Career Service Center can work with you as you decide which academic program fits your goals best.

UCC also offers several courses, including HD208: Career and Life Planning Course, in which you can identify your goals, find out more about different jobs, and get information on which degree programs might be a good fit. There are also a number of classes common to many degree plans, so you can start taking relevant classes before you have even decided what your long-term goal might be.

What is a career pathway and career pathway certificate? Why might following a pathway be a good option for me?

A career pathway is a path between high school, a high school completion program, or the GED and a certificate or degree and the workforce. Career pathway programs focus on jobs that are in high demand in the state of Oregon. The programs are designed to prepare you, step-by-step, for future employment and success. With a Pathways certificate or credential, students will be able to find jobs and move forward with whatever their life goals might be. If you are unsure about what you might do in college, this is a great place to start looking.

What is the COMPASS placement test? Is it something I can fail?

The COMPASS placement test is not a test in the same way you might think of a test in a classroom setting. You cannot fail the placement test. Instead, the placement test is designed to be a tool to help you be successful before you even start classes. It is a tool that will help you determine which classes in reading, writing and math are most appropriate for your first term in college.

A couple of important tips: first, treat COMPASS like you would any other test – come relaxed and prepared to think through each question. Eat a nutritional meal prior to taking the placement test. Take the placement test seriously. You want to be placed in a class that is neither too hard nor too easy but that is just right for your current level in each area.

What does it mean to take developmental education classes?

Developmental courses are those courses in reading, writing and math that students sometimes need to ensure success in courses that fit into a degree plan. Courses in this category cover some of the basics, which can help you get off to the best start possible in introductory college courses.

While these courses can be very beneficial to helping students complete their college programs, they can also add more time to the certificate or degree process. Students may want to consider all possible options before starting developmental education courses, including working with instructors in ABSD for a little while longer to make sure all skills in these areas are at the college level. Instructors in ABSD can help students identify the areas in which they may need further study before they move into a college program.