UCC News Center banner

Board Approves Renaming

on .

Sue Shaffer Learning Commons and Library

Library to be renamed the Sue Shaffer Learning Commons and Library.

Sue Shaffer served on the UCC Board of Trustees from 1982 to 1999. She was the first Chairwoman of the UCC Board of Trustees in 1988 and has served on the UCC Foundation Board since 2010. Sue Shaffer was recognized for her contributions to UCC in June 1999 when she received a position on the Spirit of Umpqua “Hall of Fame” in Jacoby Auditorium. In the fifty-one year history of Umpqua Community College there are only twenty-three names on the Hall of Fame.

Sue Shaffer joined the Cow Creek Band of the Umpqua Tribe of Indians board in 1974, but her first post with the Cow Creek Band of the Umpqua Tribe of Indians was as tribal secretary in 1939. Sue was the Tribal Chairwoman from 1983 to 2010.

Shaffer gained recognition for the Cow Creek Band of the Umpqua Tribe of Indians in 1982 and garnered a $1.5 million settlement from the federal government. Led by Shaffer the tribe drew on the interest to buy land and built a bingo hall in 1992. Today, the tribe operates the Seven Feathers Casino Resort in Canyonville and many other businesses. It has extensive land holdings, tribal offices and offers low-cost health insurance and college scholarships to its members.

Many local nonprofit organizations benefit from grants distributed by the Cow Creek Tribe’s Foundation as part of its agreement with the state to donate six percent of its gaming profits to charity.

Her hard work in economic development has touched the lives of thousands of Douglas County residents, both Indian and non-Indian.