Upward Bound is a federally-funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to high school students that are either lower income or will be first generation college graduates. The focus is on helping students graduate from high school and enter college.
Upward Bound through Umpqua Community College serves 65 students from Roseburg, Douglas, and South Umpqua high schools every year.
Participants participate throughout the year and attend a six-week summer academy. The first week is a summer camp to foster teamwork while covering educational content in an outdoor setting. The remaining five weeks includes instruction in math, laboratory sciences, composition, literature, and foreign languages.
During the academic year, Upward Bound holds at least five Saturday Seminars and a number of team meetings, and Academic Sessions at the high schools. These events cover content in the core subject areas, as well as career planning, college exploration, SAT/ACT preparation, guest speakers, trips to educational locations throughout Oregon, and a variety of team building activities.
- A coordinator at Douglas, Roseburg, and South Umpqua high schools assists students with their academic needs
- Year-round tutoring and/or study groups in a variety of subjects
- Trips to college campuses and cultural events throughout the state
- Assistance with application and financial aid forms, and scholarship applications
- Community service opportunities to build college portfolios
- A close-knit group of peers
- A $40 monthly stipend for actively participating
Applicants must attend Roseburg, Douglas, or South Umpqua high school and be in grades 9-11. Because admittance is competitive, both students and parents are expected to participate in an interview process after the application has been submitted and commit to attending all of the required sessions and events.
View / Download Upward Bound Application
View / Download Teacher_Recommendation.pdf
View / Download October Calendar
View / Download Saturday Seminar Permission Slip
Director, UCC Uward Bound / Educational Talent Search