Article III—ASUCC Student Senate
The purpose of the ASUCC Student Senate is to assist ASUCC Student Leadership Team with the activities of the ASUCC Student Leadership Team and to serve, when appropriate, as agents for inquiry and support for the students of Umpqua Community College.
The ASUCC Student Senate shall be comprised of no more than ten (10) students who meet the academic requirements for the position as set forth in the ASUCC Constitution and Bylaws.
Section 3—Selection of ASUCC Student Senators
ASUCC Student Senators, also referred to as senators, shall apply and be appointed in accordance with the ASUCC Constitution and Bylaws.
Section 4—Assumption of Duties
ASUCC Student Senators assume their responsibilities and duties upon appointment by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
Upon satisfactory completion of the responsibilities outlined below in Section 7, a senator shall receive a stipend of $175. This stipend will be supplemented with an additional $20 per consecutive quarters of service to the ASUCC Student Leadership Team as defined in Resolution Number One of academic year 2011-2012 – Senator Pay Schedule.
A returning senator who served for a full prior academic year shall receive a stipend of $195. This stipend will be supplemented with an additional $20 per consecutive quarters of service to the ASUCC Student Leadership Team as defined in Resolution Number One of academic year 2011-2012 – Senator Pay Schedule.
Section 6—ASUCC Student Senator Responsibilities
It shall be the responsibility of a senator to:
- Assume the responsibility of being a leader of students.
- Work with the Student Life Office to develop processes and strategies to maximize student involvement and applicants for leadership positions.
- Attend and participate in at least 80 percent of regularly scheduled ASUCC Student Leadership Team meetings per quarter unless an absence is approved by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
- Serve as a voting member of ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
- Establish and maintain a minimum of seven (7) working hours per week, which includes the one (1) hour ASUCC Student Leadership Team meeting, the one (1) hour ASUCC Executive Council Meeting, the one (1) hour senator training, and four (4) office hours which are served during regular college business hours, excluding finals week and quarterly breaks. Scheduling conflicts with any regularly established meeting must be approved by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team and rescheduled as an office hour by the senator.
- Participate in a one (1) hour orientation session with the ASUCC President before starting his/her first term as senator.
- Lobby, when necessary and appropriate.
- Be responsible for taking any student concerns to the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
- Serve on at least one (1) ASUCC Student Leadership Team committee or task force and/or one (1) college committee or task force unless there is an insufficient amount of committees and task forces to work with or unless approved to do otherwise by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
- Support all ASUCC Student Leadership Team functions and activities, as practical.
- Assist with Student Life Office and campus events, as practical, including (but not limited to) Commencement.
- Provide tours of the college upon request and as available.
- Attend on or off-campus leadership development conferences, as schedule allows.
- Develop and maintain a healthy working relationship with the ASUCC Executive Council officers, Club Council representatives and the ASUCC Advisor.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the following:
- ASUCC Constitution and Bylaws
- ASUCC Office Procedure Manual
- ASUCC Performance Review Handbook
- ASUCC Budget
- Student Code of Conduct
- Umpqua Community College Mission, Vision and Values and Strategic Plan
- Perform other duties as set forth in the ASUCC Constitution and Bylaws.
- Perform other duties as agreed upon by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.
Section 7—Summer Term Training
Senators maintaining their position from spring quarter to fall quarter may train with the ASUCC Executive Council through summer quarter if they choose. Senators training throughout the summer will receive the same stipend as the officers participating as long as the senators attend the training times, unless approved to do otherwise by the ASUCC Student Leadership Team.