- If you hear, “LOCKDOWN” over the emergency notification system or the building first responder announces the lockdown in person:
- Everyone is to stay where they are.
- Classroom Instructors
I. Quickly glance outside the room to direct any students or staff members into your room immediately.
II. Lock your door.
III. Lower or close any blinds.
IV Place students against the wall, so that the intruder cannot see them looking in the door. Look for the “Safe Corner”.
V. Turn out lights and computer monitors.
VI. Keep students quiet.
VII. Place green (Safe Room) placard on door glass to notify police that room is clear of danger.
Note: All staff members should ask all students to remain in place, this will aid in accounting for all students should an evacuation be necessary.
- Physical education classes being held in the gym should move into a locker room, lock all doors and find a safe area.
- Any students in the cafeterias should move to the nearest classrooms.
- If students and instructors are outside the school building, they should stop, drop and remain still.
- If instructors and students are in the bathrooms, they should move to a stall, lock it and stand on the toilet.
- Anyone in the hallway should move to the closest classroom immediately.
- Support staff should stay in the area they are in, secure the doors and turn out the lights.
- Students and staff in the library should remain in the library. Librarians should lock the doors, turn out the lights and locate a safe area.
- Stay in safe areas until directed by law enforcement officers, security or building first responder to move or evacuate. Never open doors during a lockdown, even in the event of a fire alarm. For further directives, law enforcement, security officers and administrators will have keys to open doors or announcements will be made over the emergency notification system.
- Security or building first responder or security will signal all personnel if the lockdown has been lifted.
- If an evacuation occurs, all persons/classrooms will be directed by a law enforcement officer, security or first responder to a safe location. Once evacuated from the building, instructors should take roll to account for all students present in class. Administrators will divide and keep in communication with radios or cell phones.