This is a new certificate based on three existing CIS courses: CIS 122, CIS 133CS, and CIS 233CS. (12 credits)
Students will be able to earn this certification and then continue seamlessly on to our other CIS programs. Those who are already employed in the profession that want to upgrade their programming skills may also benefit from this certificate. This certificate may also lead to entry-level programmer jobs.
Spotlight on Student Success : Startup Weekend
UCC students gain valuable experience in Entrepreneurship and Business.
Get the details.
All courses in the certificate are found in the CIS AAS Degree. This certificate will benefit those who want to:
- Be prepared for entry-level jobs in computer programming.
- Learn new or upgrade programming skills.
Computer Programmers convert project specifications and statements of problems and procedures to detailed logical flow charts for coding into computer language. Develop and write computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information.
According to Oregon Labor Statistics (OLMIS), the total number of job openings for the Computer Programmers (15-1131) is “projected to be somewhat higher than the statewide average number of job openings for all occupations through 2022.”
OLMIS data on Computer Programmers (151131)
View / Download Career Pathways information for Computer Information Systems
View / download catalog information for Junior Programmer (Certificate)
Completion of MTH 095 or placement test scores indicating MTH 105 or higher and WR 121 or higher is required.
It is strongly recommended that CIS certificate- (or degree-) seeking students have access to a personally-owned, 64-bit Windows 7/8 (or newer) laptop with at least 16 GB of RAM, 1-2 TB hard disk, and other standard laptop accessories. You can purchase a full version of Microsoft Office in the UCC bookstore at a very low, discounted student price.
Other CIS Certificates & Degrees at UCC
- Computer Science: AS
- Cybersecurity: AAS - New!
- Computer Information Systems: AAS
- Computer Information Systems: One-Year Certificate
- Junior Database Administrator: Pathways Certificate
- Junior Web Developer: Pathways Certificate
- Cisco Networking Support Technician: Pathways Certificate
- Microsoft Networking Support: Pathways Certificate
- Server Administrator: Pathways Certificate
- Microsoft Office Technologist: Pathways Certificate
At UCC, you can earn a variety of certificates and degrees that can enhance your current career or place you in the workforce sooner. Plus, UCC offers:
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• Online classes
Prospective students should visit Advising and Career Services to get started and then see a program advisor (below) to develop a more focused educational plan.
John Blackwood, MS - Contact
Associate Professor, CIS
Vince Yip, MS - Contact
Associate Professor, CIS