This is a new certificate based on three existing CIS courses: CIS 233CS, CIS 275, and CIS 276. (12 credits)
Students will be able to earn this certification and then continue seamlessly on to our other CIS programs. Those who are already employed in the profession that want to upgrade their database administration skills may also benefit from this certificate. This certificate may also lead to entry-level database administrator jobs.
Spotlight on Student Success : Startup Weekend
UCC students gain valuable experience in Entrepreneurship and Business.
Get the details.
All courses in the certificate are found in the CIS AAS Degree. This certificate will benefit those who want to:
- Be prepared for entry-level jobs in database programming and administration.
- Learn new or upgrade database programming and administration skills.
Database Administrators administer, test, and implement computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinate changes to computer databases. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases. Excludes “Information Security Analysts”
According to Oregon Labor Statistics (OLMIS), the total number of job openings for Database Administrators (15-1141) is “projected to be at about the statewide average number of job openings for all occupations through 2022.”
View / Download Career Pathways information for Computer Information Systems
View / download catalog information for Junior Database Administrator (Certificate)
Completion of MTH 095 or placement test scores indicating MTH 105 or higher and WR 121 or higher is required.
It is strongly recommended that CIS certificate- (or degree-) seeking students have access to a personally-owned, 64-bit Windows 7/8 (or newer) laptop with at least 16 GB of RAM, 1-2 TB hard disk, and other standard laptop accessories. You can purchase a full version of Microsoft Office in the UCC bookstore at a very low, discounted student price.
Other CIS Certificates & Degrees at UCC
- Computer Science: AS
- Cybersecurity: AAS - New!
- Computer Information Systems: AAS
- Computer Information Systems: One-Year Certificate
- Junior Programmer: Pathways Certificate
- Junior Web Developer: Pathways Certificate
- Cisco Networking Support Technician: Pathways Certificate
- Microsoft Networking Support: Pathways Certificate
- Server Administrator: Pathways Certificate
- Microsoft Office Technologist: Pathways Certificate
At UCC, you can earn a variety of certificates and degrees that can enhance your current career or place you in the workforce sooner. Plus, UCC offers:
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• Online classes
Prospective students should visit Advising and Career Services to get started and then see a program advisor (below) to develop a more focused educational plan.
John Blackwood, MS - Contact
Associate Professor, CIS
Vince Yip, MS - Contact
Associate Professor, CIS