The agricultural business management degree prepares students for successful careers in agriculture by developing strong leadership skills, promoting sound business management practices, and establishing life-long learning readiness. The degree helps a farm or ranch manager succeed in today’s complex business environment where business management skills are as important as agriculture knowledge.
"I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman's cares."
High School Opportunity
High school students should note that a major portion of the two-year Associate of Science degree can be earned dual-credit at your high school. Dual credit classes include AG111-Computer Applications in Agriculture, WR121-English Composition, AREC 121-Discovering Agricultural & Resource Economics. Check with your school FFA Chapter or advisor now, you may already be taking classes that qualify for the degree.
"When in doubt, let your horse do the thinkin."
Career paths for students completing a two-year degree in Agricultural Business Management include farm or ranch supervisor, wholesale and manufacturing sales representative, and agriculture worker. Careers for students completing a four-year degree include: agricultural program manager, marketing coordinator, agricultural produce broker, investment banker, trade analyst, commodities broker, economic analyst, and compliance analyst.
Two-Year Program Outcomes:
- Communicate effectively using oral and written skills
- Use appropriate current technology such as computers and the internet
- Understand basic business vocabulary
- Exhibit critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Explain economic theory at the basic level
- Perform basic algebra and calculus calculations
- Analyze and evaluate agribusiness problems and management decisions on a basic level
The two-year Associate of Science degree has been developed with the cooperation and support of Oregon State University College of Agricultural Sciences Applied Economics Department. The degree is designed to assist students planning to transfer to Oregon State University or another four-year institution with an Agricultural Business program. Oregon State University is recognized as a world-class center in agriculture and forestry, ranked seventh in the world in an international survey.
"To own a bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch their renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man (or woman) can do."
Charles Dudley Warner
Other Business Certificates & Degrees at UCC
- Accounting Technology AAS
- Entry Management AAS
- Entrepreneurship Pathways Certificate
- Financial Services Certificate
- Marketing AAS
- Supervision One-year Certificate
- WAFC Retail Management One-year Certificate
At UCC, you can earn a TWO-YEAR TRANSFER DEGREE for less than you'll pay for one year at a state university. Plus, UCC offers:
• Seamless, direct transfer degrees
• Expert faculty dedicated to teaching
• Personal attention and small class sizes
• Online classes
Prospective students should visit Advising and Career Services to get started and then see a program advisor (below) to develop a more focused educational plan.
Bill Armstrong - Contact
Coordinator, Associate Professor, Business